Really need help! T. verrucosus are dying :(

Fer xD

I have 5 verrucosus dark form, they are between 7 and 8 cm, we're in summer now but i kept them with frozen bottles, the temp is around 20-21 C now and i'm watching a tylo dying, it's horrible cause i'm doing every possible thing to keep them in good conditions.

One Tylo died the last week, and this is dying now, i don't know wich is the problem, this one is only moving the tail, slow movements, the skin is humid, it hasn't another sing of life, i'm worried about the others please help me ;S

Fer xD

it died. it was moving only his tail and stomach, small spasms, it's seems to be effect of high temps, the strage thing is that 20-22 is not as hot, is it? :S yesterday they have eaten very well EVERYONE.

robkeulers

I do no know wat the problem could be,  but I feel sorr for you. It feels terrible, I know all about it.

But I do not think the temperature is too high. I have had them at about 26 degrees and they still were fine in summer.

Derk

When our animals turn to the worse they tend to dehydrate. Stopping this process is very important. What you can try to do is to put animals that are deteriorating in a bath of rehydration fluid.

Mix the following:

* 950 mL water
   * 2.5 g baking soda
   * 2.5 g table salt
   * 1.25 g salt substitute (potassium-based), such as Lite Salt or Morton Salt Substitute
   * 2 tablespoons (30 g) sugar

And just pour this into a container up to a shallow level (shoulder level of the next) put the newts in as long as they want to stay. If they are trying to get out they are nicely rehydrated again.

This might buy your time while you search for parasites or other pathogens.

Good luck with your animals and nonetheless happy new year.
Derk Oorburg

Cynops, Tylototriton, Ambystoma, Paramesotriton, Taricha

Fer xD

happy new year everyone, i'll do this, i don't know about this salt substitute, i have KCl (potassium clorure)

can it be the same without it? or do you recommend to put KCl instead of this Lite Salt?

Derk

KCl is fine. These salt substitutes are almost pure KCl. And you need a source of potassium in your rehydration fluid. So either way is fine.

Do check the animals on (fecal) parasites (or let them be checked by a vet) Lethargy and weight loss is very symptomatic for intestinal parasites.

Good luck!!
Derk Oorburg

Fer xD

thanks, i haev done properly studies, they haven't parasites, they eat like pigs and look fat :)

I upload a recent picture with all of them, it was taken 22-12-2010 i think.

Derk

Hmmmm I thought because you were mentioning the ice bottles you would have them aquatic and not terrestrial. Why not try to get them aquatic? It makes life mostly far easier.

How long have they been on the sphagnum mos? Sometimes this product can turn very acidic (low on Ph) and some animals do not stand that very well. Or if you wait too long to renew the bedding it fauls up really quickly with to the excrements of the animals. All looks rather wet to me and a dirty soil can result in bacterial infections in amphibians pretty fast.

I would either use a different/new substrate or try to get them aquatic. The latter one being my personal preference.

In case any of your animals shows the same signs again I would treat them with Enrofloxacin immediately.
Derk Oorburg

Fer xD

thanks, i renew sphagnum moss every 15-20 days, perhaps ice bottles turn the enviroment highly humid. i'll try to get them acuatic, but first of all some things about these.
I'm in summer, hot temps, it's good for them cause they wanna try to get in the water, is it?
they're 7-8 cm, hope they didn't drown :S  (i'll suministrate lot of rocks and plants and i'll increase water leevl slowly.)

well. that's all folks  ;D , i'd tell you how the thing goes ;)